Monday, October 13, 2008

sanctum


last week, on a quick mid-day ride on singletrack that's quickly disappearing under a layer of orange, red, brown and yellow leaves, I stopped to find my way, the path hard to discern through the stand of mature maples and beech - and found myself entranced by a sound rarely heard - the quiet rustling of leaves as they fell in a steady shower from the branches, 30, 40, 50 feet up. all around me they fell, a steady shower of color, backlight by another bluebird day, shining and fluttering to the ground. in these moments, a little bit of peace is found, a sanctum from the daily grind. my church and my god. the camera, at home as usual, wouldn't have captured the moment as it was as much inside as out. instead, the moment sits in my mind, to be dwelled upon as the stresses of the week mount - and w/everything to be done, the calm of that moment will be called upon a lot this week.

a long fall walk w/jenn and seneca yesterday morning, then a cpl hr bike ride together in the afternoon, seneca in the chariot, smiling and laughing, pushing me to sprint the hills, "faster daddy, faster!" "WHHEEEEEE!" we took the adventurous route, just the 3 of us on one-lane class 4 roads, the leaves bursting w/color. what a great day. another moment to put away and dwell upon during the stresses of the week.



1 Comments:

At 10/14/2008 5:31 AM, Blogger rick is! said...

it's sweet that seneca is digging the chariot. get her hooked early!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home