Thursday, April 13, 2006

Sea Otter, not just a race, a realization...

The sea otter is like the Daytona 500 - the biggest race of the season is the first race, so this was a great test of fitness. Usually after a race, when I think-back on the experience, I know there are sections where I got lazy mentally and let the tempo down for a bit. Not in this one, this was more of a fight for survival, for a way to make the most of a situation, bad or not. That's not really what this post is about, though… it's more about how much everything has changed in the past 5 years. It's pretty wild that as you crest one hurdle, another appears before you, another goal becomes evident. without Jennifer in my life, I'd still be wasting wknds in the bar, throwing darts, waiting for life to find me. She's given me the strength to tackle life w/o hesitation. With us happily expecting our first child later this summer, I'm anxious… anxious for another great hurdle to appear before us, one that will certainly have effects we cannot even begin to imagine…

For those of you who don't know, each 19.4mile lap of the muddy sea otter course ends on a 5mile climb with a section referred to as "puke hill" by the locals - i found some pics online of me cresting puke hill. since my buddy Doug is a professional photographer, i can't just steal those images and post, it'd be uncool to have such a lack of respect for the folks working hard out on the course... so you'll just have to use your imaginations... Point is, sometimes, when I see myself these days, especially when on a bike in a race, I hardly recognize the person, other times it seems to make perfect sense… all I know is that I wouldn't be the guy in those pics w/o jenn, w/o her support.

4 Comments:

At 4/13/2006 2:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

way to give up some mad props to your woman. shes a good catch.

 
At 4/13/2006 2:33 PM, Blogger JB said...

Well imagination is good but the real thing is better.
I know you're just too modest to link us up to your photo.

and I love a good puzzle.

Again great RIDE, and YES, having the right person by your side to give your life focus is better than any bike ride, and makes any bike ride better.

All the best to you and your wife

RideON

 
At 4/13/2006 2:40 PM, Blogger jeff said...

now that's pretty funny, selling me out like that. mouth hangin' open, gulping air like a fish outta water.

jenn's comment, "you need to get a yellow helmet, that red one clashes with your new uniform." i guess i need to teach her the word "kit" soon...

 
At 4/13/2006 4:33 PM, Blogger Jason said...

The Wifey's make it happen. Props indeed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home